Monday, December 25, 2006

Ambulance Ride and Oxygen

We have had one CRAZY week. Short run down, Hallie was sick all week ...Monday, the dr put her on antibiotics for a double ear infection and an RSV test came back negative. Tues and Wed I stayed home from work because she was still sick. Thursday,since we had to go to Dallas for 2 other dr's appt's, we took Heath and Hallie to the dr for being sick. Little did I know how sick Miss Hallie really was. While we were at the dr they ran another RSV test, gave 2 breathing treatments, and then hooked both up to the Pulse ox machine. I will admit I thought the Dr was crazy since that is what they were on when they came home from the hospital. I thought that I would be able to tell if Hallie couldnt breathe, well I was wrong.... You want your 02 sats in the high 90's atleast! Hallie was in the mid 80's. I made the excuse that the thing wasnt on her foot right.... well it still came back the same. I thought I knew what that meant but it was one of those feelings that I was hoping I was wrong.... Yes, she needed oxygen.... and Yes, we were heading to Childrens.... by ambulance. Once we were there, it was madness. Hallie was on oxygen and the breathing treatments were making her better. Justin comes in with Heath, the dr looks at him and decides that he needs to be admitted too.... Crazy! He was released a few hours later after meds and oxygen for a while. Now is when it gets bad.... In the middle of the night the dr's come in and tell us Hallie has been doing bad and they need to work on her (at children's the turn off the monitors in the room, so parents can sleep....Im not sure I like that) They turn on her monitors and begin deep suctioning her out.... I asked how much oxygen she was on, and at first it was 1 liter..... then 1 1/4, then 1.5, then 1 3/4, then 2.....(remind everyone, she came home from the NICU on 1/32nd of a liter, so I KNEW this wasnt good). At the point she was on 2 liters I asked them what was next because she wasnt getting better and nothing was working....They said "We are going to try suctioning really deep one more time and then Its the INTENSIVE CARE UNIT" I got so sick, literally. The head RT came in and FINALLY , FINALLY... got her a little better.... I was so scared because I knew that there were no meds that could help this....(I forgot to mention, yes they were treathing her for RSV) Besides, Heath's life and death heart surgery, that was the by far the most worried I had been about the babies....Long story.... but we are home now! Prayers, once again, were answered! Merry Christmas to All!
 Posted by Picasa


Blogger Jill said...

Julie, sent out an e-mail and we've been saying extra prayers but I had no idea it was that bad. Glad to hear they are feeling better. I hope you made it home in time for Christmas.

9:11 PM  
Blogger hallegracesmama said...

Glad to hear everyone is on the mend (and home!!). Hope you had a wonderful Christmas.

2:20 PM  
Blogger liz.mccarthy said...

Oh Bobbie, what a horrible story. You must have been (and still are) so horribly worried. My heart goes out to you all, and I'm wishing that H & H continue to improve. All my best holidays wishes to you and the Lovvorn's. Liz

5:03 PM  
Blogger Grammy said...

Bobbie, so glad everyone seems to be recovering. I can only imagine how frightened you must have been. Our short conversation today (at Carrie's) didn't reveal how serious things really were and reading your post makes me shiver. I remember only too well how many days we all wondered whether any of the babies would ever get any better and be able to go home. God is truly watching over the Baylor NICU babies of January 2005. Here's hoping 2007 is a healthier one for you and your family.


8:00 PM  
Blogger Maggie (Sarah's mom) said...

I'm glad that everyone is doing better. That was way too scary!

9:15 PM  
Anonymous rach said...

love you!

10:18 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

So glad to hear that Heath and Hallie are doing better. A very scary few days! Hopefully everyone is on the path to better health!
Kristin Kemmet
Mom to Kylin and Preston 27 weekers

5:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sat and cried in my office reading your post. I hate that you and your babies had to go through that. I am so glad you are all feeling better. Let me know if you need anything.

7:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey coach Riddle this is Sol.. well just thought i would read the whole story well im glad to hear that everything is better now.. well cya lata

3:26 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Bobbie--been thinking about you and praying for H&H. Glad to hear everyone is feeling better. I can't imagine the terror you must have felt and hope that you never, ever have to feel that way again. Here's to a healthy 2007!

6:52 PM  
Blogger Sadye Spirit said...

Oh my goodness, what an ordeal! I am so sorry you had to go through that but I am very glad to hear that she is doing better. I hope you guys are doing okay now and that you were able to have a lower stress New Year's. May 2007 be easier than 2006! HUGS to you and your family!

9:57 PM  
Anonymous Tessia said...

Hi, Bobbi it's Tessia. Sorry to hear about the babies beening so sick over the holidays. I hope they are doing better. I really miss them. Take care. Tessia

7:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im soooo glad that they are doing better... Not as good as we'd all like them to be but definately better! They're 2yr birthday was today and I'm thankful that I was able to spend part of it with them! Those babies have come a long way... Give them a hug for me..See y'all tomorrow!


9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home